Alpha 20 Streamer Weekend is here!
Posted on December 1st, 2021 03:18 PM EST
We are proud to announce that the ‘Alpha 20 Streamer Weekend’ is finally here. We have partnered with over 200 streamers from 30 countries.
The Alpha 20 Streamer Weekend event starts Friday, December 3rd starting at 12:00 pm CST through Sunday, December 5th. Many streamers broadcasting in several languages will be streaming all weekend and giving away Free 7 Days to Die Keys.
Expect a public experimental build to follow sometime Monday afternoon, December 6th.
Official Alpha 20 Streamer Weekend Participants List
Alpha 20 is by far the largest content drop TFP has ever delivered. This is partly due to TFP nearly doubling the team size over the last two years and vastly improving our proprietary tools to improve the game and speed up new content creation.
Alpha 20 takes some big leaps towards Gold with these major improvements:
- A brand-new version of Random Gen World creation with new cities, city tiles and a part system spawner. You will be blown away by it!
- Over 200 new POI’s and updates to many of the older POI’s. Over 550 Explorable locations total
- Navezgane has many city improvements, terrain improvements and new rural and wilderness communities
- Nearly 25 new HD characters with a couple with improved shaders
- 6 New weapons and 13 HD remakes with the addition of new primitive pipe weapons
- Overhauled shape menu with hundreds of new shapes organized and buildable from a simple frame with in-game, creative and level design support
- Block Placement Improvements
- We have added a Robotic Drone Companion to carry your extra gear, heal you and more
- Dynamic Imposter System renders accurate changes to POI’s and player bases at far distances
- Rendering improvements with 100s of new PBR models
- Quest Improvements including new restore power night Quests
- AI Enemy Improvements including city spawning, ducking, obstacle attacks, head tracking and burst attacks.
- Feral Sense Game options for a completely new game experience
- Vehicle Improvements with coop passenger support and mods to improve and customize your Vehicles
- Loot Progression Improvements include a new Loot Stage System, Biome and Tiered POI loot bonuses and early game balance
- Improved dynamic music and ambient audio system with added new content
- Improved weather system with more distinct and varying weather
- Video Options for Anti-Aliasing - Temporal (TAA) and AA Sharpening have been added along with an auto detection system that will set your game settings to better match your hardwares capabilities.
- Animations have been improved from 1st person to 3rd person to provide a more immersive experience
- A new Dismemberment system has been integrated with some of the zombies
- Twitch Integration has been improved with many new commands, voting and more
- Modding support has been improved with better world editing, level editing, RWG and Server.XML settings and tools
Alpha 20 is not compatible with previous Alpha worlds or save game data. New Pregen-Maps have been created and can be used. We also advise that you delete the 7 Days save Game data folder before playing.
TFP is extremely excited for this release. It’s by far the biggest Alpha ever and is jam packed with new content, bug fixes, optimizations, and game balancing. Read on for more information!
- New Districts which includes downtown, industrial, commercial, residential, rural, country town, wilderness, and country residential
- New RWG Tiles support city and town construction which includes tile variants of: Intersection, straight, corner, caps and T-sections with nearly 50 unique tiles.
- New stamps to improve and create unique terrain for every biome
- New stamps to support rivers and canyons
- New faster RWG creation supports 6k, 8k and 10k maps
- New town types: City, Town, Country Town and Ghost town. Custom townships can also be added.
- New Part Spawn Markers which add unique Prefab possibilities to tiles and POI’s
- New Road exit markers that align POI driveways to the end of roads
- POI distribution has been improved to better use the over 550 unique POI’s and nearly 50 city tiles that the game has to offer for nearly infinite replay value
- POI’s except for wilderness have all been redone to to improve how they work with the new city tile system. Sizes include: Small 25 X 25 meters, Medium 42 X 42 meters, Large 60 x 60 meters, Extra large 100 x 100 sizes
- POI placement has been improved to account for each POI’s overall performance cost and as a result, very heavy POI’s will not be placed near each other which helps keep the game running better.
- 3 Brand new Pre-generated maps will be offered.
- XML support for modding in your own tiles, parts, unique town types, and more see Server.XML and Modding section below for more detail.
- New Random Gen Preview tool mix options to support tweaking custom maps to your liking changing many things including: Frequency of Towns, Frequency of Wilderness POI’s, Frequency of Rivers, Craters, Cracks, and Lakes, Frequency of Plains, Hills, and Mountains, Global amount of Randomness
Here are just a few of the great things coming to Alpha 20:
- Over 175 Brand new explorable POI’s
- Over 25 reimagined old POI’s
- Over 550 Explorable locations
- Many Tier 3 and 4s have been added with some new and updated tier 5s
- Alpha 20 POI Tier breakdown includes:
- Tier 5 POI’s - 7
- Tier 4 POI’s - 29
- Tier 3 POI’s - 52
- Tier 2 POI’s - 102
- Tier 1 and Remnant POI’s - 360
- There are over 200 new and overhauled POI’s, too many to mention but some notable larger POI’s include:
- Countrytown_business_05 - “Butcher Petes” (Overhauled Tier 4)
- Factory_03 ( New Tier 5)
- Apartment_brick_6_flr (Overhauled Tier 5)
- Apartment_01 (New Tier 4)
- Downtown_strip_05 (New Tier 4)
- Downtown_strip_07 (New Tier 4)
- Downtown_strip_09 (New Tier 3)
- Downtown_strip_10 (New Tier 3)
- Downtown_strip_11 (New Tier 4)
- Warehouse_01 (New Tier 4)
- Warehouse_03 (New Tier 4)
- Skyscraper_01 (Overhauled Tier 5)
- Skyscraper_02 (Overhauled Tier 5)
- Skyscraper_03 (Overhauled Tier 5)
- Skyscraper_04 (Overhauled Tier 4)
- Navezgane has gotten a little love with some new POI’s added. Diersville, Departure, Gravestowne, and Perishton Updates. New suburban, rural and wilderness communities were added. Road and Terrain Updates.
Nearly 25 new HD characters have been completed for Alpha 20 in fact all non player characters and enemies are now HD. There are also new improved character shaders for zombies, NPC’s, radiated zombies and burnt zombies. The New HD zombies include:
- New HD Wight Zombie
- New HD Thug Zombie
- New HD Tom Clarke Zombie
- New HD Worker Zombie
- New HD Mechanic Zombie
- New HD Hazmat Zombie
- New HD Dog Zombie
- New HD Biker Zombie
- New HD Spider Zombie
- New HD Soldier Zombie
- New HD Lab Zombie
- New HD Cop Zombie
- New HD Tourist Zombie
- New HD Nurse Zombie
- New HD Lumberjack Zombie
- New HD Businessman Zombie
- New HD Mutant Zombie
- New HD Screamer Zombie
- New HD Stripper Zombie
- New HD Burnt Zombie
- New HD Trader Joel
- New HD Trader Rekt
- New HD Trader Hugh
- New HD Trader Bob
Pipe weapons are new early-game weapons easily crafted in your backpack, and only require basic ingredients like short iron pipes, wood, glue, and leather. Players will now have access to a Pipe Baton, Pipe Pistol, Pipe Shotgun, Pipe Rifle, and a Pipe Machine gun in earlier gameplay to be in tune with the new loot and level balancing. These weapons all have custom sounds and animations with variable mod slots similar to existing in-game weapons. Pipe weapons are easily repaired with short iron pipes. As part of weapon cleanup, the Blunderbuss was removed and replaced with the new Pipe Shotgun.
A new Lever Action Rifle was added to round out and complete the existing rifle tier. The Lever Action Rifle’s firing speed and range make it a great gun for outdoor survival. This rifle also uses 7.62 mm rounds and has variable mod slots similar to existing in-game weapons.
Existing weapon overhauls include new models, textures, and/or sounds for already favorite items like the AK-47, SMG, M60, .44 Magnum, Hunting Rifle, and the Rocket Launcher. These texture and model upgrades add some nice polish and align with the look and feel of other art upgrades throughout the game. In addition to model and texture updates, the Bows, Crossbows, and Compound Bow all received a damage increase. Arrow models received an update to complete the new look and feel of the bows.
Frames (OSB/Weak Wood texture), Wood, Cobblestone, Concrete and Steel.
After crafting, equip them to the toolbelt and then use the radial menu (or shortcut keys Shift+R) to open the shape selection screen. This screen shows several shape categories that can then narrow down the search:
Basic, Square, Round, Wedge, Poles, Stairs, Catwalks, Trim, Windows, Destruction, Construction, Deco and Letters
For you modders out there, the shape menu brings with it an easier way to add new shapes to the game. Simply add the new shape definitions to shapes.xml and let the game fill in the materials for that shape at runtime. The new shapes are then automatically added to the material shape helpers in game. This feature also greatly reduces the amount of crafting recipes needed.
The creative menu has also been overhauled with a new category system and look.
- Yellow - The block is stable. As the block becomes more yellow it means it is getting less stable
- Red - Placing the block would cause some type of collapse. Adding blocks to reinforce other parts of the structure may allow this block to then be placed without collapse
- Pink – Placing would cause this block to fall as it does not have sufficient support
The Robotic drone is modded in the player’s inventory. Dyes are added to the cosmetic slot and mods to the modifier slot(s).
Some of the Additional Mods and Enhancements to the Drone include:
- Robotic Drone Armor Plating Mod - Increases the Drones Defenses
- Robotic Drone Cargo Mod -Increases the Drones carrying capacity
- Robotic Drone Medic Mod - Gives the Drone the ability to heal the player
- Robotic Drone Moral Booster Mod - Player Stamina regen is increased by 10% when near the Drone
- Robotic Drone Headlamp Mod - Gives the Drone a headlight
What does this mean for players? With this option turned on you can renovate existing POI’s, fortify a whole town or build a castle on a hill top and see the changes from anywhere in the world.
- Depending on PC strength we have several game option settings that can be edited in serverconfig.xml
- DynamicMeshEnabled - Setting to true will enable the system
- DynamicMeshLandClaimOnly - Setting to true will make the system only active in player Land Claimed areas
- DynamicMeshLandClaimBuffer - Dynamic Mesh Land Claim Base chunk radius size
- DynamicMeshMaxItemCache - How many items can be processed concurrently, higher values use more RAM
- Terrain Shader - Updated for better quality and performance including improved roughness and specular shading modifications
- Foliage Shader - Updated for improved rendering effects like subsurface scattering in addition to physically based rendering and packed textures for performance
- Entity Tint Shader - This shader provides support for tinted color variations on models in addition to improving performance due to packed textures
- New Terrain Textures
- New Block Textures
- Lighting and Sky Improvements
- Meshes - Short plant meshes, like grass and cotton, have been greatly improved to generate more detail and much more variety of shapes with less mirroring. Mesh complexity now uses the grass quality setting which allows for less detail on lower end computers
- Biomes - Plant distribution has been improved and the forest has a new short grass sub biome. Grass placement on slopes has been improved as well
- Trees - Trees now have a root ball to seal holes at the base of the trunk
- Clouds - Improved blending of cloud layers and we now can keep cross blends for much more variety and to better match the weather system
- Lightning - Adjusted values, added a cloud area brightening effect and fixed a bug with the world not being lit
- Wind - The weather system's wind speed now changes the speed of plants blowing in the wind and we added wind gusts
- Along with all of the new POI’s of alpha 20, there is plenty of new content to add to the visual immersion of the game.
- Cities are detailed to a whole new level, with props such as newspaper stands, mailboxes, street lights, parking meters, planters, operational manhole covers, traffic signals, new street signs as well as business signs, ATM’s, Etc.
- Industrial locations are enhanced by new assets like new conveyor belt systems, construction site material stacks. Tarp fencing, etc.
- All new functioning and destructible doors such as cellar doors and shutters.
- More immersive destruction for the world you’ve come to love with a variety of new rubble piles.
- A new Mesh tinting system and shader bring you more color variations of new art content to further customize your creations.
- Hundreds of new and updated PBR meshes have been added to the game overall.
We’ve also added a new quest type, Restore Power. Restore Power quests are activated at night and require the player to re-establish power to the locations. Find the generators inside and activate them. Be careful as the generators may alert nearby zombies.
- Biome Spawning - Zombie spawning in biomes is now based on the types of buildings in the area, so industrial, commercial and downtown areas are more populated. These areas also spawn more challenging enemies in the harder biomes
- Ducking - Zombies can now duck down to help them not get stuck on obstacles
- Obstacle Attacks - Zombies now stand more reliably at the point of attack without sliding around
- Head Tracking - Added more variety with when and where they look
- Burst Attack - Added a new AOE burst attack, which is used by the new mutant zombie
- Increases the range that all types of zombies can hear and see the player by over double the normal amounts
- Stealth still works, the zombies will just detect you more easily
- Game options are Off, Day, Night, All (Day and Night)
- Expanded Seating - Allows 2 riders on the minibike or motorcycle and 4 on the 4x4
- Fuel Saver - Your engine uses less gas
- Reserve Fuel Tank - Increases tank capacity
- Off Road Headlights - Brighter lights
- Super Charger - Increases acceleration
- Tracking - Improved camera tracking and fixed some popping issues
- Zoom - Camera can now be zoomed in and out using the mouse wheel or gamepad
When it comes to biome bonuses, the progression is as follows:
- Pine Forest
Loot has been adjusted to provide early game weapons and tools a chance to shine. This grants the player time to find and use a higher quality item before finding the next tier. Books have also been realigned to deliver players books like Spear Hunter and Archery earlier for the most benefit. Food, Drink, Medical, and Ammo Supplies have been adjusted to keep players on the hunt for more in places you would expect to find them. To bring back the fear of infection, items that cure it have been greatly reduced.
There are also 5 new Tiered Loot chests that are placed according to the POI Tiers
While this schema allows for a high degree of versatility in the way of content, it is not reactive to gameplay on the content level. That is where our new "vertical dynamism" comes into play.
In A20 we have created a theme just for Bloodmoon. There is an ebb and flow to the intensity of combat during Bloodmoon, and we have revamped our threat level system to tap into it. Our new theme accounts for this, and the music now reacts in real-time to the intensity of Combat as if a conductor is watching your every move.
- New Bloodmoon Music with threat-responsive layering system
- Improved layering with added complexity for layered tracks
- Improved randomization
- Over 6.5 million combinations of tracks across all configurations
- New Threat-Responsive Ambient Audio System
- Twitch Sounds
- Custom sounds for all new pipe weapons
- New Door Sounds
- New game vent activation sounds (keys, buttons, etc.)
- Restore power quest sounds
- Custom sounds for new loot chests
- Randomness - Improved calculations and shorter durations, so less likely to get stuck with the same weather
- Weather groups - Added grouping of values like fog, clouds, and precipitation to allow distinctive types of weather like foggy, raining, snowing or storming. Each biome now uses these groups for their own weather
- Anti-Aliasing - Temporal (TAA) is an added choice. It is an advanced rendering technique that smooths edges based on motion
- AA Sharpening - With TAA on, you can use the sharpening option to increase how strong edges look in the game
- Overall improvement of First and Third person Weapon hold, attack, power attack and idle animations
- Overall improvement of First and Third person Tool hold, attack, power attack and idle animations
- Better 3rd person blending of upper and lower body while walking, running, strafing and general movement while carrying weapons
- New Zombie dog animations
- New Jiggle Tech adds dynamic movement based motion for the following Zombies and Parts:
- Bloated Tourist - Stomach and overall body fat
- Cop - Stomach and overall body fat
- Big Mama - Stomach and overall body fat
- Lab Tech - Hair, body wounds, dangling hand
- Soldier - Torso body wounds and torn uniform
- Mutated Zombie - Acid bubbles on skin, including blended animation
- Screamer - Clothing, hair and movement of jaw and tongue
The initial release will include support added to a small number of zombies, with subsequent updates expanding support to all zombies.
Voting introduces a new dynamic to the integration. Random polls are introduced, giving viewers options for new buffs and debuffs, attack hordes, and debuts brand new Boss Hordes! If the Vote Hordes eliminate the streamer, all voters receive a set reward.
Custom Events have been added to allow the streamer to customize their experience when viewers interact. These are based on bits, subscriptions, gift subs, raids and channel point redemptions. These are defined in the twitch_events.xml.
New features and commands include:
- New Twitch Voting Mode
- Progression mode has been improved with balance
- Many new commands include:
- #celebrate - It’s a party and everyone’s a pinata.
- #dance_off - The Fun Pimps groove, and everyones invited.
- #silly - A silly command sounds silly.
- #reverse - Turns you around 180 degrees.
- #confuse - Flips the movement controls.
- #no_robo - No robotic help.
- #no_explosives - No explosive use.
- #no_vehicle - Vehicle use is painful.
- #no_safe - Safe zones are painful.
- #no_stealth - Bombs go off eliminating stealthy movement.
- #painting - You see the apocalypse as a work of art.
- #deafen - You cannot hear.
- #spawn_mutated - Spawns a Mutated Zombie
- #spawn_tourist - Spawns a Tourist Zombie
- Custom Events based on:
- Bit donation amounts
- Subscriptions based on months
- Number of gift subscriptions
- Raiding with defined numbers of viewers.
- Channel Point redemptions
World Editor Improvements
- When placing a new prefab it is centered with its front side on the position you selected and are aligned with the ground level in that position
- While moving prefabs around they show a preview of their contents
- Moving prefabs becomes faster the farther the player is away from them, making it easier to move prefabs across bigger distances
- Placing/removing prefabs is now managed from the prefab browser known from the POI Editor
- Show prefab names on the POI selection boxes (can be toggled in the “World Tools” tab)
- Show info about the selected POI in the ESC menu
- Prefabs you are close to always show their orientation
POI Editor Improvements
- Allow highlighting all blocks of a certain type from the “Level Tools 2” tab
- Allow restricting paint brush operations to blocks within the current selection box
- Add option to select the biome used for playtesting
- Debug mode and creative mode are enabled in playtesting by default
- ESC menu shows the quest tier of the current POI
- Allow rebinding the keys to change block density
- Added Paint Surface radial painting option to paint contiguous coplanar surfaces
RWG Preview and rwgmixer.xml
- XML support for modding in your own tiles, parts, unique town types, and more
- New Random Gen Preview tool mix options to support tweaking custom maps to your liking changing many things including:
- Frequency of Towns
- Frequency of Wilderness POI’s
- Frequency of Rivers, Craters, Cracks, and Lakes
- Frequency of Plains, Hills, and Mountains
- Global amount of Randomness
- Added a command line argument “-debugshapes” to get output on which block material / shape
- combinations are created by the shape system
- Added console command “placeblockshapes” to easily place all variants of the shape / helper block you are holding
- Added property “PlaceAsRandomRotation” making blocks get placed in a random allowed rotation
- Added console command “placeblockrotations” to place the currently held block in all supported rotations
- Added property “AllowedRotations” to specify which rotations a block can be placed in
- Clients now allow loading mod DLLs the same way as on the dedicated server - as long as EAC is disabled
- HarmonyX is shipped with the game to allow patching game code at runtime. In combination with loading DLLs on clients patching game code files should no longer be necessary for almost all mods
- The mod code initialization call IModApi.InitMod is now passed in its own instance e.g. to get the mod’s base path
- Class names specified in XMLs now always support namespaces and not having to use any hard coded class name prefix (e.g. custom block classes do not have to start with “Block” in their name)
- LootContainer references are now based on names instead of numeral IDs, making collisions between mods less likely
- XUi controls and styles can be shared between the menu XUi and the in-game XUi XMLs
- The XUi pager now supports showing the max page number
- Added a new XUi dropdown box
- XML patch type names (like “insertafter”, “set”) are no longer case-sensitive
- XML loading and patching shows line numbers on most errors during loading/patching them
- Added better error messages when using “set”-patches
The change for server administration is in the user IDs that are used to store data and reference players, i.e. the filenames of user files, IDs in the serveradmin.xml or console output / commands which now refer to the user’s EOS ID.
- Changed default "WorldGenSize" from 4096 to 6144 to match in-game default
- Added "ZombieFeralSense"
- Changed default “LootRespawnDays” from 30 to 7 to match in-game default
- Added DynamicMesh options - see section about Dynamic Imposters for details
- Added Twitch options - see section about Twitch Integration Improvements for details
- Fixed the Server Terminal Window sometimes not showing any output
More change log info here